A great way to begin your season with some insight into your players is to spend some time with each player individually and find out where they are at as far as their own game and their mental game. This is a great questionnaire that you can do with them before you start. It’s a good idea to conduct the interview and get their answers as you go through the questions and then send it to them in an email so that they have a record of it and something for them to reflect on.
Player Interview – The Starting Point
- What technical or tactical skills do you feel that you are good at
- What technical or tactical skills do you feel that you need to improve on
- What are your feelings on mental training
- What are your current nutrition habits around training and competition
- Do you do strength and conditioning and if so, what
- How many sports do you play, what is your other main sport to softball, where do any conflicts occur
- Do you feel that softball interferes with your school or social life at any time
- At what point do you think there is too much softball?
- What would you call a good number of tournaments for the season that allows you to manage school,
family and your social life?
- What are your softball endeavors (scholarship?)
- What would be ideal in terms of coach support during the season
- What was the team environment last season
- How did you feel about the team environment last season
- Is there anything you would like to change
- How do you feel about the upcoming season